Monday, October 17, 2011

Lobsta Truck - Orange County

You needn’t look further than The Lobsta Truck to realize that this whole food truck thing isn’t about pinching pennies or getting a lot of food for your buck. Until a Foie Gras Truck debuts, The Lobsta Truck is probably the most premium of all the premium-priced, new-age luxe loncheras.

The lobster roll toll is $12. You know how many tacos acorazados from the decidedly old-school Alebrije’s Grill that buys? Three. Three tacos that could feed three healthy-sized people until they slap the table for mercy on how full they are.

But I digress. Look at the thing! There is what I estimate to be a half-pound of the costly crustacean stuffed in that bun. To expect them to charge any less is to be ignorant on how business works.

Is it good? Well, yes. It’s lobster, after all, soaked in butter, shoved into a griddle toasted torpedo-shaped roll-—a vessel that does its due diligence as a transport device to get the meat into your mouth and nothing more.

I much prefer the crab roll though, not because it’s that much cheaper at $11, but because I’ve always liked crab more than I’ve liked lobster. In those strands is a uniform sweetness egged onwards by a subtle seawater brine. The lobster, by comparison, has a bitterness hiding behind its firmer flesh.


And then I think about all the labor and effort involved in extracting crab meat. By comparison, disrobing a lobster is child’s play. Also, since the crab has a finer grain meat, it's able to fill every available nook-and-cranny with a suffusion of flavor.

Even with an expensive and decadent treat like this, I’m always thinking about how to maximize my investment. But that’s just how I am.

Lobsta Truck
http://lobstatruck.com/
twitter.com/lobstatruck


THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Broadway by Amar Santana - Laguna Beach
Best of 2011
Winner's Circle - Dee Nguyen

9 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you I love crab more.
The meat just taste better than lobster.

nhb

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Scarrie said...

I have only tried the lobster version with butter, and it is worth every penny! But now you've got me salivating for crab.

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Alyssa said...

These are making me hungry for crab and lobster for breakfast.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

nhb,

True that. Lobster has its reputation because of its high cost, I think. But crab is where it's at.

Scarrie,

I still have to try it with mayo, but then, how can mayo hope to be better than butter!

Alyssa,

HA! Why not for breakfast?!

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous CandiRae said...

What an awesome looking truck! I also prefer crab, but the pic of the lobster looks pretty tempting!

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Steve Martin said...

I have never eaten off these 'gourmet' trucks, but really want to give them a try.

Thanks for whetting my appetite!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

CandiRae,

It does doesn't it? That's lobster for you! :-)

Steve,

You could start with this one and work your way down in price.

 
At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post and cool delicious review that's makes me hungry...Thanks for nice post.. good food

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worse lobster rolls ever! I should know, I grew up in Maine and my dad had a huge seafood restaurant. Had one today that was supposed to be the cold one with mayonnaise...the roll was soggy, the meat was warm and they charge extra just to fill a lobster with the same amount most places do for the regular size. If you want a REAL Maine lobster roll, try the Cousins Maine Lobster trucks. There's a reason they won Shark Tank and Lobsta didn't!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home