Thursday, August 09, 2012

Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar - Costa Mesa

I’ve written about Memphis before, about the Happy Hour, about the fried chicken plate. Seriously, you should get the fried chicken plate. Yes, $17 is a a bit expensive for poultry, but KFC this is not.

This post, though, is about another dish that I discovered recently. This dish is the fried okra, and having had my share of fried okra before, what I got is much different from what I expected. Instead of the usual pencil eraser-shaped wheels, these are thin, reedy and crisp. What they did to prepare them was shaved the pods on the diagonal as if by whittling. They're then lightly breaded in a corn meal and fried to golden wisps.

What results is fried okra that even the okra-averse would love. They're devoid of the usual okra mucus, but still silky once the crunch subsides. They're obscenely light too. I believe I could’ve eaten the whole plate and ordered another and another. They're the perfect fried app to eat with a cold glass of beer, by the way. But you already knew that.

Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
2920 Bristol St
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 432-7685


THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Izakaya Ku - Fountain Valley

2 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger . said...

I am in intern with a nonprofit called BAMGAM, which stands for buy a meal, give a meal. We visited Memphis a few weeks ago on one of our events called a "Grub Crawl". We sampled their sliders which were so yummy!

If you would like to learn more about our organization or our events please let me know! It looks like you have a love for food as great as we do, and it would be awesome if we could get you to our next event and involved.

Thank you!
Cassandra Cortright

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger caninecologne said...

I like how they prepared their okra! I don't eat it that often and when it's present, it's usually in pinakbet, in all it's slimy glory. Pass. But fried this way? I'm so there. Well, at least the next time we drive up to Costa Mesa!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home