Friday, April 28, 2017

Porto's - Buena Park


Can we all agree that Porto's is the greatest bakery of our generation? The cheese rolls are ethereal and crisp; the potato balls, soft and fragrant of cumin. But let's admit it: The real reason everyone waits in that line at the new Buena Park branch (or heck, every branch) is because of how low its prices are.



Where else can you get a whole 9-inch birthday cake that serves a dozen people for less than $25? And that actually tastes good? I mean, have you seen the tiramisu cake here? The top is so packed tall of shaved chocolate, it doesn't even fit in the box!



And when I tasted it, it was like I was tasting tiramisu for the first time--light but rich, fluffy but decadent, a masterful balance of marscapone, coffee, moist cake, and chocolate. It's a benchmark for other things that might call itself tiramisu just as Porto's is a benchmark for anything that might call itself a bakery.

Porto's Bakery & Cafe
7640 Beach Blvd.
Buena Park, CA 90620
(714) 367-2030

THIS WEEK ON OC WEEKLY:
Meizhou Dongpo - Irvine

5 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger dumplings said...

How about them potato balls?! I didn't even know they served seafood and spicy cheese balls!!

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Agreed!!! I'm of the opinion that if Porto's served those potato balls and only those potato balls, the lines would be exactly the same!

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Ben said...

The Potato balls are insane!!!
Ben
GetNosh.com

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous MIke Hs said...

I should be going here for lunch every week since I work about 1 mile away, but the lines are too insane. Talk about Catch 22! (The potato balls are great, but I love the Pork roast sandwiches, Pan con Lechon).

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

Ben,

Yes! Yes, they are!

Mike,

The one thing I can say about that line is that it does move fast...but sometimes, when I've got those potato balls (and now roast pork sandwiches) on my mind, it's still not fast enough!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home